Growing popularity of cloud computing makes more firms interested in migrating their software and data to this environment. Despite a short list of premium cloud providers (Amazon, Google, Microsoft, IBM) it is not easy to decide which one – as if only one – will serve best a particular purpose. Application hosting, web services, data processing and Big Data may all be supported with different efficiency by a given platform. It is also important to decide on cloud service model relevant to a project or overall IT strategy of a company:
- IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service),
- PaaS (Platform as a Service) or
- SaaS (Software as a Service).
Decisions on the scope and timeframe of services, like backup frequency or system availability can significantly affect monthly costs of running the solution.
Once all decisions are made, a detailed migration plan must be created. It consists of:
- project description, including its scalability, peaks handling, SLA, etc.,
- installation and configuration of required cloud services,
- application migration (including feasibility study and necessary modifications),
- data migration
- administration and monitoring of new solution,
- continuous optimisation of services and resources.
Based on past project experience Vimana can help address and resolve above issues, support decision making process and create a roadmap for migration, while still keeping an eye on long time cost efficiency of final solution.